Filet mignon recipe inspired by Cupcakes and Kale Chips. Arugala and potato recipes are my own.
Makes four servings (if cooking for two, reduce all ingredient portions by half)
For the filets:
- Four 6-8 ounce filets
- Let the filets sit at room temperature for twenty minutes before cooking. Season with salt and pepper.
- One tablespoon olive oil
- 1-2 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced about ¼ inch thick (you’ll need eight slices)
- About 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into four slices
- Balsamic glaze
- About eight fresh basil leaves
For the salad:
- 5 ounces of arugula
- Olive oil
- A dash of balsamic vinegar
For the potatoes:
- 2 pounds red potatoes, washed and quartered
- Two tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon thyme or rosemary (add more to suit your taste)
Optional wine pairing: Opt for a red varietal. For lighter palettes, go with Pinot Noir. Choose Cabernet Sauvignon for a more full-bodied option.
Make sure all of your ingredients are sliced before you start cooking. Filet mignon cooks quickly, so this alleviates some of the risk of over-cooking the meat.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Begin by putting arugula in a large mixing bowl and drizzling it with olive oil and a dash of balsamic vinegar. Less is more since you can always add, but can’t take away – begin with less and continuing adding in small increments if needed. Mix arugula until evenly coated and set aside.
- Line a 13 x 9 inch baking pan or casserole dish with aluminum foil. Place the quartered potatoes in the pan. Ideally, you want to make the layers as lean as possible so potatoes all cook at the same pace. Overlap is fine, but if it starts to fill the entire dish, you may want to consider cooking in two pans or adding a few minutes to the cook time.
- Drizzle the potatoes with two tablespoons of olive and add salt, pepper, and thyme / rosemary to your liking. Mix the potatoes around with a spoon until oil and seasoning is evenly distributed.
- Once the oven is fully heated, add the potatoes. Cook for twenty minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure the potatoes don’t burn.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet (you may have to use two skillets, depending on filet size) over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add the fillets. Cook for eight minutes, flipping every two minutes.
- Add slice of tomato and mozzarella and cover the pan, cooking for 3 to five minutes, until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and check doneness. This cooking time will achieve a medium rare filet. For medium doneness, add two minutes. For well-done, add four minutes.
- Serve immediately – fillets over a bed or arugula with potatoes on the side and enjoy!